Offer your customers a chance to save up to 30%* off their car insurance premium.
The my Driving Discount program encourages customers to focus on their safe driving habits by rewarding them with a chance to save even more off their car insurance premium on a continuous basis.
The customer is enrolled through a broker.
The program is activated and accessed through the Intact Insurance App.
Once the customer starts driving, the app assesses a number of factors related to safe driving, such as: hard braking events, rapid acceleration, time of day, distractions and more.
A discount is awarded based on driving behaviour after each data collection period, which lasts approximately six months (180 days).
Customers must drive a minimum of 1,000 km during each data collection period
It’s easy for your customers to save on their car insurance premium with the my Driving Discount® program.
Customers get an enrolment discount just for signing up and a chance to save up to 30% off their car insurance premium on a continuous basis.
Customers can monitor and improve their driving habits.
Customers can earn a personalized discount every six months by driving safely.
Customers can access my Driving Discount, their policy documents and more through the Intact Insurance App.
Once the app is activated, the customer simply drives and their driving behaviour is assessed using smart technology.
Offer your customers immediate savings with an enrolment discount and a chance to save up to 30% off their car insurance premium on a continuous basis
The program attracts people with good driving records who are comfortable using technology and interested in taking some control over their auto insurance premium by driving safely.
Increased retention rates
Our studies show that approximately 75% of customers enrolled can earn a personalized discount after the first data collection period. Once customers see how easy it is to drive safe and save, we believe they will want to maintain or improve their personalized driving discount on a continuous basis.
Materials & Resources
Frequently asked questions
19. Can the customer’s premium increase because of my Driving Discount?
my Driving Discount and the Intact Insurance App
1. What is my Driving Discount?
my Driving Discount is the Intact Insurance usage-based insurance program that rewards safe driving behaviour. The program offers a personalized discount by using an app to assess driving habits (such as hard braking, acceleration, time of day, distraction, fast turns and more).
The program was introduced in 2013 and has gone through several enhancements since its initial launch. The latest enhancements for Intact Insurance customers are available July 22, 2018, effective for new business August 22, 2018, and effective for renewals September 22, 2018.
2. How does my Driving Discount work?
The program is now accessed through the Intact Insurance App, which has all of a customer’s information in one convenient place, including policy documents, billing statements and claims status updates.
The app assesses how a customer drives using their smartphone’s GPS, accelerometer and gyroscope, which can measure various driving events such as: hard braking, rapid acceleration, cornering and turns and whether they are distracted while driving. Drivers can save on car insurance through a personalized discount approximately every six months, based on driving behaviour - the safer they drive, the more they can save.
3. How does selling my Driving Discount benefit me?
Competitive advantage: The program gives you a chance to compete by offering customers immediate savings with an enrolment discount and a chance to save up to 30% off their car insurance premium starting mid-term, with the chance to save again at renewal, and on a continuous basis.
Can help improve loss ratio over time: Our experience with UBI shows that the data collected is more powerful than any other rating variable used today, with a 50 point gap in the combined ratio between the best 30% and worst 30% of drivers enrolled. Good drivers who earn discounts are more likely to stay in the program, while drivers with poor driving habits who do not earn a discount may choose to shop, which can add segmentation value to your book of business.
Engaged customers: The program attracts people with good driving records who are comfortable using technology and interested in taking some control over their auto insurance premium by driving safely.
Retention: Our studies show that approximately 75% of customers can earn a personalized discount after the first data collection period. Once customers see how easy it is to drive safe and save, they will want to maintain or improve their personalized driving discount on a continuous basis.
4. How does my Driving Discount benefit my customers?
• An enrolment discount just for signing up
• Customers can save up to 30% off their car insurance premium
• Access the program and more through the Intact Insurance App
• Sign up, sign in, start driving
Control and safety:
• The continuous assessment provides customers with ongoing reminders and feedback about their driving.
• Results from assessments are not set in stone, so drivers can use the app as a tool to adjust their driving behaviour to earn a better discount by the end of the next assessment.
•The program has been enhanced by addressing specific issues like distracted driving in a positive, consumer friendly way.
5. What are the latest enhancements to the my Driving Discount program?
• my Driving Discount is now accessed through the Intact Insurance App so everything is in one place for the customer, including, access to policy documents, billing statements and claims status updates.
• A personalized discount from 0 to 30% is updated mid-term and at renewal (on a continuous basis, approximately every 180 days).
• It is now a continuous program, with the data collection period every 180 days (~6 months)
• There is a 1,000 km minimum driving requirement during each data collection period
• New variables were added, including distracted driving, speed, fast turns, duration of trips, road types and time of day adjusted to between 2:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m.
Note: These latest enhancements apply to Intact Insurance Personal Auto customers and are only available through Contact. Novex customers will continue to enrol in the original app program.
6. What is the enrolment discount?
A 5% enrolment discount is applied when the customer first signs up for my Driving Discount. At the end of the first data collection period (~180 days), the enrolment discount is replaced by the personalized discount based on driving behaviour during the first collection period.
The discount was adjusted to 5% because customers have the chance to earn up to 30% in a shorter period of time than the previous program.
7. How does a customer enrol?
8. Can additional drivers on my policy join the program and get a discount?
Yes, each principal driver on the policy may enrol their vehicle in the program if they comply with all eligibility requirements. The enrolment discount will apply to each eligible vehicle that an enrolled driver is assigned to, as principal driver on the policy.
9. Who is best suited for my Driving Discount?
my Driving Discount is best suited for drivers that are comfortable with technology, who can benefit from being rewarded for their good driving behaviour. Any driver that is a principal operator of a vehicle is eligible. The customer must give consent and provide a valid email address and cell phone number. The program is most beneficial for drivers who use their vehicle regularly and therefore have the potential to earn a personalized discount based on their good driving behaviour.
10. How is the personalized discount calculated?
The personalized discount (the “my Driving Discount”) is calculated based on the following driving events:
• Duration of trip
• Hard braking
• Rapid acceleration
• Cornering and turns
• Kilometers driven
• Distracted driving (e.g., Using your smartphone while driving)
These driving events may be contextualized in light of various factors, such as:
• Severity of the event
• Speed at which event was registered
• Time of day
• Road types (e.g., highway, urban or rural)
• Left or right turns
These driving events and their contextualization factors (collectively the “Driving Data”) are continuously measured by processing Collected Data while the customer remains enrolled in the Program, through consecutive periods of a minimum of 180 days (each a “Collection Period”).
11. What is the Safety Score?
The Safety Score helps drivers see how they are driving. It appears as a ‘shield’ and uses colour coding for a quick visual reference to indicate the level of risk:
• Dark green: Very low risk
• Light green: Low risk
• Yellow: Moderate risk
• Orange: High risk
• Red: Severe risk
12. What are Driving Stats?
The Driving Stats feature provides a detailed description of each risk and proposes tips for improvement. It allows drivers to monitor their progress and see how they compare to other drivers in the program that have a similar profile.
13. How does the Safety Score work?
The Safety Score is an indicator that takes into account various driving data from the last 30 days, and will display a score for each following five risks:
• Risky hours: The risk of an accident rises during certain hours of the day (such as between 2 a.m. and 5 a.m.).
• Rapid acceleration: A rapid acceleration occurs when a driver’s speed suddenly increases. Rapid acceleration is detected when there is a change in speed starting at or exceeding 12.0 km/hr per second.
• Hard braking: A hard brake occurs when a driver’s speed decreases suddenly. A hard brake is detected when there is a change in speed starting at or exceeding -12.0 km/hr per second.
• Speeding: Speeding is detected when there is a change in speed exceeding 120 km/h.
• Distracted driving: Using a cell phone to talk or text, even if it’s hands-free.
We understand that even the most experienced drivers need to brake hard or accelerate quickly sometimes. That’s why one individual event will not have a significant impact on a driver’s score.
14. What’s the difference between the Safety Score and the discount?
The Safety Score is a safety indicator, based on certain driving behaviour, whereas, my Driving Discount is based on several factors using advanced technology to analyze driving behaviour combined with the number of kilometres driven during the data collection period.
15. When does the customer first see their potential discount?
The potential discount will appear in the app once the customer has driven 1,000 km and from there, the discount will be updated within a few minutes after each trip.
16. When will the customer receive their discount?
The customer will receive an enrolment discount and will be eligible to earn a personalized discount at the end of the first data collection period, which is approximately 180 days after they have taken their first trip. At the end of the data collection period, they will be notified of the personalized discount and the premium will be adjusted based on their driving behaviour and vehicle usage.
17. How is the personalized discount applied after the first data collection period?
The personalized discount is applied approximately 180 days after the first tagged trip and it will be updated next on the renewal date, using the discount amount showing at the renewal lead time, or at the end of another 180 day collection period, whichever comes first.
For subsequent policy terms, the discount will be updated at approximately 180 days into the policy term, and then upon renewal based on the driving behaviour and vehicle usage.
At approximately 180 days into the policy term, customers can expect that:
• If their discount improves, the personalized discount will be applied.
• If their discount decreases by less than 5%, the previous discount will continue to be applied until renewal.
• If their discount decreases by 5% or more, the personalized discount will be applied.
18. How are the customer’s car insurance payments adjusted?
Whenever the cost of the policyholder’s car insurance is updated, they can check the Intact Insurance App for their updated policy documents including a billing statement indicating any adjustments to their payments:
• If the premium has already been paid in full: a refund will be issued if the premium decreased, or an additional amount will be due if the premium has increased;
• If the premium is paid monthly, or by another payment method: the payment schedule will be adjusted accordingly, to reflect increased or decreased payments, as the case may be.
• Upon renewal, the premium may increase or decrease based on factors other than a change in the my Driving Discount program.
19. Can the customer’s premium increase because of my Driving Discount?
No, the premium will not increase as a result of the my Driving Discount program. However, the discount can vary (increase or decrease) or even be removed during the course of the policy term which can result in an amount due. Again, factors other than the program may affect the premium upon renewal.
20. Can the customer change their mind and opt out of the program?
Yes, the program is voluntary. They may opt out at any time, however, as of the date of withdrawal, they will no longer be eligible for any discounts available through the my Driving Discount program.
21. When does the customer activate the program?
The policyholder receives a Welcome email and all drivers registered for my Driving Discount receive a text message (SMS) with instructions. The program should be activated as soon as these are received.
22. What happens if a customer does not download the app and activate the program?
Reminder text messages (SMS) will be sent to all drivers on day 4 and day 7, and a final email reminder will be sent to the policyholder on day 12. Any driver that does not activate the program within 15 days of the effective date of enrolment or within 15 days of the date the text message was sent (whichever is later), will be removed from the program and any discount received will cease to apply.
23. Is there any cost to enrol in the program?
No, there is no cost to enrol in the program.
24. Is there a minimum distance the customer must drive to qualify for a discount?
For each data collection period (~180 days), the principal operator must drive a minimum distance of 1,000 km to qualify for the program discount. If the minimum distance is not driven, no discount will be applied. Based on our program research and data analysis, this distance is the minimum amount required to provide an accurate picture of their driving habits.
25. If the customer is already enrolled in the previous my Driving Discount program, can they switch to the new program?
Yes, we will allow a one-time switch. However, this is considered a new enrolment and data will not transfer from the old program to the new program so the customer will have to start over.
26. What if the customer drives their vehicle for business purposes?
If the driver uses their vehicle for business purposes, the trips will still count toward their Safety Score and my Driving Discount.
27. What if the customer is an Uber or Lyft driver, or is a commercial vehicle driver?
my Driving Discount is only for drivers using their personal vehicles for business or personal use. If they are driving for Uber or Lyft, or driving commercial vehicles, they must visit the All Trips section and set the toggle to “I was a passenger on this trip” within 30 days of completing a trip as a commercial driver.
28. How does the customer access my Driving Discount?
If the customer already has the Intact Insurance App, the my Driving Discount icon will appear once the customer receives their confirmation email. The customer simply clicks the icon, follows the welcome screens to customize their settings and then starts driving.
If the customer doesn’t have the Intact Insurance App, they can download it from either the App Store or Google Play, and follow the same steps. Their email address and policy number are required to create their account and log in for the first time.
29. How does the mobile app work?
Once the customer logs in and completes the onboarding survey and tutorial, the app will learn the driving behaviours of the principal driver. The customer is no longer responsible for tagging all trips as a driver, the trip will automatically be tagged as driver, unless untagged.
30. What type of smartphone is needed?
To be eligible for the my Driving Discount program, you need a compatible iPhone (iOS 10 or later), or an Android device (version 5 or later). You also need a data plan with your cellular service provider, to have accurate location information while driving.
Smartphone sensors behave differently in different devices so the program’s performance can vary depending on the type of smartphone used. Compatible smartphones include components such as: an accelerometer, gyroscope, proximity sensor, and compass.
31. What are the key requirements needed for the app to work?
Customers must ensure location services is turned on in the app and in their phone settings, and that the Motion & Fitness option (applicable to iPhone only) is enabled in the phone settings.
32. Does the app use cellular data or Wi-Fi?
The app is free and can be downloaded using Wi-Fi or cellular data. The app itself will use cellular data and transfers the data to calculate the customer’s score and potential discount. Data will continue to be transferred while roaming, unless it is turned off on their smartphone.
33. How much battery power will the mobile app consume?
my Driving Discount only consumes an average of 3% to 6% of a smartphone’s battery life per hour, which is a small amount of battery when someone is not driving, and slightly more while they’re taking a trip. If the battery is lower than 20% or a smartphone is in power saving mode, trips will not be recorded.
34. How much of a customer’s data plan will be used?
Between 30 and 60 MB of data will be used per month, which is a very small fraction of the average data plan (1,000 – 2,000 MB or more per month).
35. Does the mobile app have to remain open to collect data?
Yes, the app must remain activated for the duration of the automobile policy, including subsequent renewals.
36. What trips will the app record?
The app will record all trips where it believes the customer is the one driving the vehicle. At the start of the program, the customer should go into the app and confirm that it tagged them correctly. Customers have up to 30 days to confirm a trip is tagged correctly.
37. What causes the beginning of trips to not be recorded?
To start recording data, the app must determine that the driver is moving so there is a minimum 300-metre radius delay before movement is detected and the location is pinpointed.
38. What options can the customer choose to tag a trip?
It is no longer necessary for the driver to tag every trip as the enhanced version of my Driving Discount uses advanced technology that can analyze driving behaviour and identify if someone is a driver or a passenger in a vehicle, or a passenger travelling by some other mode of transit.
39. How does the app know when the customer is the driver?
During onboarding, the customer is asked if they are mostly a driver or passenger when travelling by car. We use state-of-the-art technology to analyze their smartphone movements and driving behaviour in order to identify if they are a driver in a vehicle, a passenger in a vehicle, or travelling by some other mode of transit (e.g., public transit).
40. How long does the customer have to tag a trip once it has ended?
The app will auto-tag detected trips based on an understanding of driving behaviour. The app allows the customer to review or correct these auto-tagged trips or certain events within auto-tagged trips within 30 days.
41. How does the customer change the trip summary if they were not driving?
In the event that a trip has been misclassified, they can visit the All Trips section and set the toggle to “I was a passenger on this trip” within 30 days of completing the trip. They can also contact the Customer Service Team at 1-855-251-6977, to correct any tagged information.
42. What if someone else is using the customer’s phone during a trip?
The customer can visit the All Trips section and set the toggle to “A passenger was using my phone” within 30 days of completing the trip. This distracted driving event will then be removed from the Trip Summary.
43. Should the customer deactivate the app if someone else is driving the vehicle?
No, the app should never be deactivated. The customer has the option to tag themselves as a driver or passenger on any trip where they are in a vehicle. (If the customer is not in a vehicle, the app will not record the trip).
44. What happens if the customer has to switch phones or if the app is uninstalled?
If the customer needs to change phones after they have already started the program or uninstalls the app for any reason, they can just download the app again, log in using their credentials and continue their data collection period from where they left off.
45. What if the customer gets a new phone number?
The customer should notify you and contact our Customer Service Team at 1-855-251-6977 so we can make the necessary changes and send a confirmation text message (SMS) with the download link.
46. Will the app work outside of the province?
The my Driving Discount app works worldwide.
47. Will a customer be removed from the program if the vehicle is placed in storage or liability coverage is removed?
We will not remove a customer from the program if the assigned vehicle is put into storage or if liability coverage is removed, as long as they are driving another vehicle and the app is collecting data. However, when a vehicle is put in storage during an enrolment or collection period, the enrolment or personalized discount doesn’t apply.
48. What if the customer will not be driving for an extended period of time?
The customer could be removed from the program and lose any program discounts. If a customer is not planning to drive for more than 30 days, they should contact the Customer Service Team and inform their broker.
49. Should the customer delete the mobile app after the first personalized discount is applied?
No, my Driving Discount is a continuous program, so the customer must keep using the app to be eligible to continue earning a potential discount after every data collection period (~180 days).
50. If there is only one vehicle insured on the policy and there are three operators listed, do all three download the app?
No, only the principal operator downloads the app.
51. How is a customer’s driving data protected?
52. How is the customer’s driving data used?
The driving data is used to determine the percentage discount (if any) that the customer is eligible for. Collected data will not be used to cancel a policy, refuse or decline to renew a policy, or surcharge the premium.
53. Will I be able to access my customer’s driving data?
No. This information is only visible to each driver and is not shared with brokers.
54. Can the policyholder and other drivers on the policy see someone else’s Safety Score and trips?
No. This information is only visible to each driver and is not shared with any other drivers on the policy.
55. Who has access to each driver’s trips?
Information about driving behaviour and trips is shared with Intact Insurance and TrueMotion, Inc., a mobile telematics company. We work with this service provider for the technology, systems, and services necessary to run the my Driving Discount program.
56. Are phone calls tracked through the app?
No. The only information received is to detect if the driver is using the phone while driving (distracted). Intact will never track or record a customer’s phone calls through the app.
57. Who does the customer contact regarding technical issues with the program?
Intact Insurance customers can contact our Customer Service Team at 1-855-251-6977 or email email@example.com
58. Who do I contact if I have questions about the program on behalf of my customer?
For questions regarding eligibility or underwriting considerations, please contact your underwriter.
For technical issues, brokers can contact our Customer Service Team at 1-855-251-6977 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
*An enrolment discount applies to new policies and, if eligible, a personalized discount between 0% and 30% based on driving habits may apply upon completion of an assessment period. Certain conditions, limitations and exclusions apply. Visit intact.ca for full terms and conditions of the ®my Driving Discount program. ®Intact Insurance Design is a registered trademark of Intact Financial Corporation, used under license. ®my Driving Discount is a registered trademark of Intact Insurance Company. ©2018, Intact Insurance Company. All rights reserved.